| Posting Summary: As he planned the University of Virginia and designed its first buildings, Thomas Jefferson envisioned a great public institution of global scope and character in his words, the "future bulwark of the human mind in this hemisphere." As we move ever closer to fulfilling the vision of UVa as the first truly great public institution of higher learning in America, our employees advance our core work of teaching, conducting research, providing best-practice care for patients, and encouraging public service. |
Facilities Management (FM) supports the University of Virginia's wide range of research, academic and patient care programs. With over 1,200 employees dedicated to excellence, Facilities Management is responsible for the day-to-day operation, repair and maintenance of U.Va.'s buildings, infrastructure and grounds as well as other University-owned and leased properties.
The Instrumentation Engineering Technician provides highly technical expertise and support for Building Automation Systems (BAS) that provide automatic control of building mechanical systems, infrastructure systems, energy generation, and distribution systems. This includes troubleshooting, diagnostics, installation, repair, programming, commissioning, and related work. The incumbent is responsible for identifying, evaluating, implementing, and programming new instrumentation and controls technologies; ensuring reliability, service, efficiency, and efficacy of existing BAS and I&C; and leading and training mechanics and less senior technicians. This position also provides controls engineering in support of University sustainability initiatives such as building retro-commissioning and building optimization.
Required Minimum Level of Education: High School Diploma or Equivalent Required
Preferred Minimum Level of Education: Associate's Degree
Preferred Specific Degree/Training: Associate's degree or university or technical degree in engineering technology, computerized system control, or a related engineering field. Completion of coursework or demonstrated experience indicating proficiency in application of building control system technologies can be substituted for formal training.
Required Minimum Level of Experience: Extensive - 7 years plus
Required Specific Experience: Experience to be demonstrated in operation, design, specification, maintenance, troubleshooting, installation, commissioning and programming of building automation systems and their components in a large modern, multi-building commercial or industrial environment. Programming experience to include a minimum of 4 years in logic programming for direct digital control (DDC) systems.
Preferred Specific Experience: Experience developing control system architecture, programming, and graphics for Johnson Controls Metasys or Automated Logic WebCTRL highly desirable. Supervisory or project management experience helpful.
Preferred License or Certification: CCST or equivalent
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: 1. Highly skilled in troubleshooting automated building controls and HVAC systems, devices, equipment, and sensors.
2. Highly skilled in the programming of direct digital controls.
3. Ability to calibrate sensors and develop and implement test procedures for checkout and commissioning.
4. Ability to develop and implement automated controls strategies for building mechanical (HVAC) systems.
5. Considerable knowledge of heating, cooling, and ventilation (HVAC) equipment.
6. Ability to read and understand mechanical drawings (schematics), block diagrams, flow charts, service manuals, and wiring diagrams, and to create electrical, mechanical, and controls-related field sketches.
7. Ability to develop control system schematics and controller diagrams using computer software.
8. Highly skilled in the use of electronic and electrical testing devices
9. Strong analytical skills and ability to analyze and solve practical problems with building systems and automated controls
10. Demonstrated ability to lead others and to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Required Computer Applications: Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel
Preferred Computer Applications: Microsoft Visio, Microsoft Project, Microsoft PowerPoint, MS SharePoint, WebCTRL suite, Metasys Suite